Re: The infamous family project (free boat)

From: Mike Meadway <mmeadway@...>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:28:40 -0700

Phil --

    From your description, I wonder if in fact there's foam under there
that gets waterlogged; there was apparently a lot of foam in various
places around the boat. I wonder also if one could simply suck the
majority of the water out using a wet/dry vac applied to the holes, then
allowing wicking action to finish things off over a period of time.
Come to think of it, I suppose that you could cover the holes with some
silica gel -- now very inexpensive since people started using it in
catboxes.

I'd love to see photos as well if anyone has them on the guts of the
hull. I really don't like the idea of sawing into the deck, but there's
two places that it may be necessary depending on what's underneath. I
note that the holes for the replacement seats do not attach to the
stringers and are not in the same location front-to-back as the
originals. In addition, the originals actually have nuts embedded in
the fiberglass into which machine screws go.

Mike