New "Sweet 16" Owner

From: QNX <itorrey@...>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:24:07 -0500

Last fall, while looking for a distributor cap for the 1967 Starflite
100-S on my father-in-law's boat, I ran across an old Evinrude boat
with a 1966 (I think) 100hp Johnson. I didn't know anything about the
boat, except that it looked really cool and had the part I needed. So,
I came home with my distributor cap - as well as the whole boat and
motor that was wrapped around it.

I was curious, so I thought I'd do some research on the boat, and
that's when I was introduced to this site. Thanks for the great photos
and information. They made me long for my days growing up around the
Kawartha and Muskoka regions of Ontario. It would seem I'm now the
owner of what I believe to be a 1964 Sweet 16 (although couldn't find
the registration plate).

I originally just wanted the motor parts, but now I don't think I can
deny the calling to restore the old boat. I'm fairly mechanically
inclined, but I don't know much about boats in general. The transom
appears weak, and I see a couple of cracks in the floorboards. The hull
doesn't look too bad, aside from a few shabbily repaired dings in the
centre "v". Can anyone suggest what I should be looking for, and what I
might be in for if I take on this project? I'd like to do a sanity
check before I get myself in over my head.

Also, identifying the exact year is proving a little difficult. It
appears to be grey-blue in colour, with a coat of blue paint slapped
over top. Am I looking in the wrong places for the registration tag?
Are there any distinguishing marks that might help me to identify her
exact vintage?

Any guidance as I start down this path would be appreciated.

regards,
Ian Torrey
Ottawa, ON Canada