Re: Sport '16 vs Sportsman

From: Phil Budne <phil>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:17:58 -0400 (EDT)

Lee Shuster wrote:

> I'm curious what the difference is between these two models (Sport '16
> vs Sportsman) -- Is it strickly in model name or were there actual
> differences.

I suspect it was just a name change. The "16" tag was cute for the
"Sweet '16". The Sportsman name appears in 1967, the same year they
stopped making the Sweet 16, and before the styling changed (1968).
>From the photos I've seen, it looks like the same boat.

> Also, does anyone know if the factory 210 hp engine was ever installed
> in the late 1969-70 forward contol 16' hulls?

Not that I've seen evidence of, but I'm always learning something new!

> This one appears earlier than the one on Phil's website.

Why do you think this one is older? The boat in the ad is listed as
1970. The only one on the web site I have solid data for was
described as a 1969, but the model number is supposed to be a 1970
model number.

It looks like a similar design was sold as the Johnson "Frontrunner".
There's a photo of one on the website under "Other Johnson Models".

> Here's one that I found listed (incorrectly ?) with 230 hp and it's
> listed as an Explorer 16'. A 16 foot hull must fly with the small-block
> Chevy!
>
> http://boats.iboats.com/evinrude/bow_riders--1004/15346-ad.html

The infomation I have is that 200 and 210HP engines were only sold in
19' boats. Evinrude never sold anything described as a 230.