Re: '65 Sweet 16: Replacing Steering Cable

From: LeeHazen@...
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:53:11 EDT

In a message dated 9/5/03 7:48:30 AM Central Daylight Time, semsc@...
writes:

> I need to replace the
> steering cable. I've found replacement cable (3/16" aircraft cable). Has
> anyone done this? Any tips or pitfalls you can share?

It's been a long time since I replaced the cable on my first Seasport 155.

If I remember correctly, you thread the new cable starting at the steering
wheel location through the pulleys down to the outdrive, wrap it around the
helix steering worm gear and thread it back up to the steering wheel, around
the wheel's worm gear and on to a spring clamp that attaches the two ends
of the cable. It's a job, so IF your cable is not broken, take careful notes
of
how it is threaded up. Pull the new cable in place AS the old one is pulled
out so you don't get it steering backward. I think the cable spring clamp is
just over the area where the throttle shift is located up inside the hull
top.

Good luck. Don't forget to grease your steering gears and the outdrive
swivel. It will feel like power steering when it is set up right.

Lee