Re: prop pitch?

From: Andy Perakes <aperakes@...>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 23:36:58 -0400

I have 3 props (16, 18, and ~21) for my 155 Hp '67 Reveler i/o. (Just like
the one on e-Bay -- thanks much for sending the link!!) The 18 is pretty
good for all-around use. The 16 revs high, but still functions okay and
gives me lots of power (8 skiers at once). The ~21 used to be a 20 that my
smarty brother had upsized to a 22 about 20 years ago thinking it'd make the
boat go faster. The effect was it acted like a governor with groggy
performance and wouldn't swing over ~3000 rpm. I had it whacked down a
little, but it still clips me at 3500 rpm. So, based on my humble
experience, you really can't deviate a whole lot from nominal (maybe 1-2
sizes up or down tops). My guess is a 12 would scream rpms. If you're just
looking for a spare prop for emergencies, it'd probably work, but I'd go
with the 14 given the choice.

For others with the Buick V6 155 Hp engine: As an original owner running in
fresh water only during short Michigan summers, we've faced two regular
problems: about every 10-15 years, both the alternator and the water pump
need to be replaced. As someone previously mentioned, parts are now
obsolete and very expensive. I kept my old parts in hopes of rebuilding
them, but so far haven't found parts for my parts (stator for the alternator
and shaft/impellor for the pump, in particular). Our winterizing procedure
for 36 years has been to follow the instructions in the owner's manual which
simply states (only slightly shortened) open the petcocks and dump some oil
down the carb. Last year I started pulling the cooling hose in an effort to
dry things inside out a little quicker, but I'm a little leery about mice
moving in. If anyone has any tips that have worked for them on
servicing/maintaining/winterizing this engine, I'd love to hear them,
especially if you know any good sources for parts (water pump prices ranged
from $380 to over $500 last year!!!)