Re: New/ old member

From: omniverse@...
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 19:08:01 -0400

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 22:05:40 EDT
 Mstvsnd@... wrote:
> ----
> if yours has the original 90 HP, get all the use you can
> out of it, but I'd
> recommend keeping an eye out for a rea$onable newer
> 70-80-90 HP replacement
> and snapping it up when you find it, because eventually
> you'll need it.

Yeah, and I'd like to find another motor for spare parts
myself.

> If on the other hand yours has the I/O setup, you'll
> probably be able to use
> it for a long time. There's a 1966 Sweet 16 on our lake
> with the original
> Buick V-6 that still runs like a top.

Mine is the 90HP I/O from '66. Had gotten me many miles up
and down the Tennessee River, even about 90 miles (and
countless hours) in one day by carrying two 6 gal. gas cans
along with the 12 gal. tank onboard. This thing is no miser
when it comes to fuel; must be like 4 mpg? But I'm
relatively new to boating so I didn't know what to expect.

Had troubles though, like a nuisance loose carburator screw
(for getting into the highspeed jet screw thru the float
bowl) and also a loose starter armature nut (I finally gave
up, glued it on with liquid welder out of desperation).

Had it out after dark on that river a few times and once
rode across a heavy mill black plastic sheet. Stuck in the
prop and it was a while before I got out of that, was almost
certain I had damaged the gears or drive train, but was
okay.

> Here's a recent pic of the Shark with its new motor. The
> best part about the
> boat is the looks it gets when we pull up to one of the
> local waterfront
> hotspots. Hope you have as much fun with yours as I have
> with mine.

That looks like a nice one, Mike. I noticed people gave my
boat a double-take when they saw it too. Looks old close up
but I think these boats can look new from a distance.

And way to go Michael! Glad to hear a success story.

Hope you both can keep your boats going long hereafter too,
mines still up on blocks you might say.

Farewell,
Bob Hughes