Restoring Tips for a 1965 Sport 16

From: Jeff Mogensen <jmogens1@...>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:13:37 -0400

Hi,
I am ready to do some major work on my boat that can be seen at:

http://www.ultimate.com/omc-boats/gallery/jmogens-sport16.jpg

The problems in order of importance:
1) Transom - leaks and has slight bowing. I think I am going to have to yank
the motor, remove the top plate, drill out the rot, and add stiffening from
the inside. I hope I do not have to dig into the stringers. Has anyone
attempted this before? The hull is rated for 130HP and I have a 115HP
mounted now.

2) corrosion - the boat has been used in the Gulf Of Mexico for the last 16
years and my cleats, rails, instrument cluster, seat frames and windshield
brackets have wear. I may just replace if I can find equivalents.

3) hull - need to gel coat cracks and bottom V.

4) trailer - front cross member is twisting forward.

This boat fits in my garage and I hate to part with it since it is set up
just right. My wife says I need to "spruce it up" a little. She refers to it
as the "Jalopy". I would be content to find a good 1965 Sport 16 hull with
trailer and transfer my hardware.

Thanks for the advice,
Jeff