(no subject)

From: bill.beardsley@...
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:07:47 -0500

Hi all,

I have a 1971 Evinrude Sweet Sixteen outboard. For several years, I had thought
I would like to have one of these. I never looked very hard, but finally one turned up
locally,
and I bought it for $475, boat, junk motor and trailer. That was 2 1/2 years
ago, and it's
been stored ever since, but this winter I bought a 70 hp Johnson, and now I'm
working
on getting the boat going. It's a "back burner" project, but I should be afloat
this summer.

So I have some of the usual questions about old, out-of production objects.
Are there any sources of parts?. It doesn't seem to need much, but for example
the cleats are pretty well corroded away, and it would be fun to replace them
with original-style ones.

The one thing that appears to be a problem now is the windshield. The previous
owner
took off the windshield and frame, and made a low, opaque plastic windscreen
that bolted to the original supports. Fortunately he saved what he took off. The
windshield
is not broken, but it is hazy. The frame appears to be fine. I think I can put
up with the
windshield the way it is, but the molding that goes between the windshield and
deck
is completely shot. Is this available, or is there a known substitution? In
general,
if you had to replace the whole windshield, what would you do? I assume there
must be
some modern one that could be adapted, but how would you find it?

I'm delighted to find this group, and thank you in advance.

Bill Beardsley
bill.beardsley@...
Bill Beardsley