(no subject)

From: Ralph Erickson <ericksra@...>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 21:04:55 -0400

Hello list. I have a hybrid 1967/1968 Evinrude Sportsman 155, meaning that
I started with the '67, but the hull was in rough shape. I was lucky
enough to find the '68, which had a blown out middle gear in the outdrive
and a questionable looking engine, but a pristine hull. So, last spring, I
took the '67 drive train and moved it into the '68. I was proud to see
that all the electronics plugged right into an identical gang plug (whew!).

I just read through the mail archives at the website, and think I can help
out the guy with the Johnson that pounds at high speed. As another writer
told you, the trim is the problem. However, in my boat and I assume
therefore also yours, it is adjustable. Look at the forward motor mounts
and you should see that there is just above them on either side a bolt (a
BIG one) that allows you to raise or lower the front end of the engine.
Since the entire drive train is solidly bolted together without a trim
adjustment at the junction, by raising or lowering the front of the engine
you are also adjusting the trim of the outdrive. You'll have to play with
it a lot to find the right place, and of course you can't adjust it on the
fly, so you can't compensate for different passenger loads, but you should
be able to find a place in the adjustment that allows you to eliminate the
pounding (on flat surface) most of the time. Be sure, obviously, to
tighten those bolts down securely every time you make a change, and be sure
that you've got both sides equal. Good luck!

Now can anybody help me? I've been told that there was such a thing as a
14x22 prop for these boats and this is essential for getting maximal speed
out of them. I've also been told that I should be able to get 40 MPH out
of this boat, but with both the '67 and the '68 configuration I can only
get about 34-35 mph at the redline of 4200. I am using the most agressive
prop I've been able to find, a 14x20. Anybody heard of a 22 pitch prop, or
was I misinformed? By the way, I think these boats are beautiful and fun,
even though they aren't much good in rough weather, and intend to fully
restore mine. I'll try to get a picture to the website but I don't have a
digital camera.