Re: [OMC-Boats] Coupler slippage '68 Johnson Surfer 210

From: albertcrouse@...
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 11:29:26 -0700 (PDT)

    If the prop doesn't show signs of slippage, my guess is the shift spring in the lowerunit is slipping. Drain the lube out of the lower gearcase and look for fine metal particles. Make sure to only refill the lower with OMC lube for electric shift outdrives. If you use the Hi-vis lube in the lower it can cause it to slip due to thicker lube. The Hi-Vis can be used in all the other gearboxes except the lower.  I think the correct lube for the lower was called OMC Premium Gearcase Lube. If changing the lube doesn't fix it you'll probably need to replace the forward hub and spring. If no metal in the gearlube it could be the motor coupler but I doubt that's the problem.
Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone

------ Original message------From: Chad Smith via OMC-Boats Date: Mon, Jul 6, 2015 11:14 AMTo: omc-boats@...;Subject:[OMC-Boats] Coupler slippage '68 Johnson Surfer 210
Hello all-
My Surfer 210 has some prop slippage that has gotten progressively worse over the last few weeks. At first it was only under heavier throttle that it would speed up and clunk back into place so I thought it was cavitation. I changed the prop to a new one and over the last few rides the slippage has started to occur at only 1500rpm. Could it be the engine coupler? Also- does anyone know what model I/O is on this boat?
ThanksChad Smith