[OMC-Boats] slow starting…..

From: sv <svsv8002@...>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 12:18:22 -0700

Hi,

I have a '64 Johnson Deluxe with the Buick odd-fire 155 engine. HEI conversion. It did this a little last year, and actually had to be towed a couple times because of it. Runs great when started. But it's taking forever to start. Here's what it does…..

- I put the red lever almost all the way down.

- turn key, it cranks and cranks. Let off key, repeat.

- finally after several cranks, it starts catching a little. so when I hear that I have to just keep cranking with the key on, it sounds like it's going to start but I have to leave the key cranking for it to finally hold. I know, not great for the starter.

- Then when I feel I can finally let off on the key, it SLOWLY climbs up to fast idle where it should be given the position of the red lever. But it takes literally almost a full minute to slowly climb up to normal.

- After that point, I back the red lever down and it idles away and runs just fine. But if I stop the engine for more than about 5 minutes, I have to go through the whole procedure again.

It never used to do this. Just for grins I changed the plugs and the fuel/water separator filter. No big difference.

Any ideas??

Thanks!