Re: [OMC-Boats] flag emblems

From: sv <svsv8002@...>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:50:17 -0700

I had pretty good luck last summer molding a couple little plastic
parts with stuff i bought at a local plastics place called "Tap
Plastics". I think they're a chain. Anyway, you have to have an
original to make the mold from. That's usually the problem. But
if you do, then it works pretty well. You make a latex mold.
Then when that's done, you pour in your two-part plastic goo.
Then when dry, you paint it as needed. Overall might cost about
$75-$100 in supplies

btw - after 3-4 summers of no use while tweaking it, happy to say my
boat starts right up and i have been using a lot so far this summer.
Took an hour long full throttle ride yesterday and the temp held right
at 160. No issues there anymore. Even pulled a tube around last
week. Having some hot start issues, but nothing big. Seems to
act like its flooded at times. Otherwise, glad to get some solid use
out of it finally!

On Jul 10, 2012, at 5:58 PM, <tklauber@...> wrote:

> I have looked at this problem off and on several years and the ideal
> would be to find the original manufacturer who is probably out of
> business now. I suspect they were injection molded and the dies may
> still be around. They could be remade no problem - maybe costly.
> Then deciding the correct plastic then how to silkscreen the correct
> color to the part. Infringement on OMC or whoever property - I don't
> know the answer to that. Would hate to make 3000 of these and then
> get sued - paranoid? The final product hopefully would last at least
> 10 years. Maybe upgrade the product - make them out of aluminum like
> the Evinrude insignia next to it. Gotta think of the people that
> will inherit the boat. Thatís what makes this hobby so interesting.
> Looked into the shapeways.com and not sure what they are doing there
> or the materials they are using. Might work but would like to pursue
> injection molding first.
> As to the rub rail aluminum extrusion that will have to wait unless
> I get lucky. Thinking of ways to refurbish what is there - a little
> paint and buffing does a lot. Tom
> -----Original Message----- From: omc-boats-request@...
> Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:00 PM
> To: omc-boats@...
> Subject: OMC-Boats Digest, Vol 58, Issue 9
>
> Send OMC-Boats mailing list submissions to
> omc-boats@...
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/listinfo/omc-boats
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> omc-boats-request@...
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> omc-boats-owner@...
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of OMC-Boats digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. OMC-Boats - custom plastic molding (Micah Donahue)
> 2. Re: Tilt Motor problem conclusion (Paul Hamilton)
> 3. Stalling from low idle (Paul Hamilton)
> 4. Re: Tilt Motor problem conclusion (William Howk)
> 5. (no subject) (d m)
> 6. Evinrude Rub Rail (Blue) (d m)
> 7. Re: (no subject) (Paul Hamilton)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 15:21:36 -0400
> From: Micah Donahue <mdonahue@...>
> To: omc-boats@...
> Subject: [OMC-Boats] OMC-Boats - custom plastic molding
> Message-ID: <1C0C0285-9111-40C3-90CA-0A872F8F96FC@...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Tom -- Re: the emblems, I would definitely try shapeways.com. You
> can 3D print almost anything you can scan or CAD up, in a variety of
> "materials."
>
> Just a thought.
>
> -Micah
> ..................................................................
> Micah Donahue
> principal/contact strategy director
> M E C H A N I C A
> V 978-499-7871 x107
> M 978-491-7242
> mdonahue@...
> LinkedIn: micahdonahue
> ..................................................................
>>
>> From: <tklauber@...>
>> Date: July 8, 2012 10:16:15 PM EDT
>> To: <omc-boats@...>
>> Subject: [OMC-Boats] tilt motor
>>
>>
>> The tilt motor in the 69 Rogue and Sportsman is a Prestolite
>> ETK-402. It is covered well in the Seloc manual. You see them cheap
>> and often on ebay. Make sure you get one from a reputable seller. I
>> have seen some good and bad ones one ebay. New ones can be had
>> online for around $100 and on up.
>>
>> Anybody in the plastic molding business out there? The insignia on
>> the boat sides are pretty much toast and I NEVER see them on ebay.
>> You know what I am talking about. Those red and blue flags next to
>> the Evinrude inscription. Mine on the Rogue and Sportsman are
>> cracked and shriveled up. Wonder what it would take to get them
>> made. They are complicated having a plastic base with 4 plastic
>> prongs held in place with a clip and a little rubber washer. The
>> color comes from paint or silk screen I think. Any body out there
>> with any ideas on that? Also need to find an aluminum extruder to
>> remanufacture the rub rails. That will be tough as they come in one
>> piece per side meaning they would be very long and hard to ship if
>> available. Just a wild thought. Tom
>>
>>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/private/omc-boats/attachments/20120709/2493cfb8/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 17:51:23 -0500
> From: Paul Hamilton <prhamilt@...>
> To: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
> Cc: OMC Boats <omc-boats@...>
> Subject: Re: [OMC-Boats] Tilt Motor problem conclusion
> Message-ID:
> <CAN=3qEhQosdbgbMeKGVGuJrnXS5cGNU3v=pUS0zU8OkjAtdnPw@...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> It may have been obvious to others but I didn't remove the cowling
> when I
> first made the attempt to remove the tilt motor. Virtually
> impossible.
> With the cowling off, it's still tedious but reaching under the
> outdrive
> and over to the bolt made it possible. I didn't have a ratcheting
> open
> end wrench so I needed a third hand to help release/position the
> wrench at
> times. I will have a ratcheting wrench when I install the rebuilt
> unit,
> hopefully later this week.
>
> Paul
>
> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM, BLDFW <bldfw@...> wrote:
>
>> Well..... anyone have the pleasure of "trying" to remove the tilt
>> motor?
>> That lower bolt is a killer! Will prob need to get a universal
>> joint for
>> my 1/4 ratchet to get in there!
>>
>> Always somethin'!
>>
>> -Bill
>> Cedar Creek Lake, TX
>> 1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
>> http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer
>>
>> *From:* BLDFW <bldfw@...>
>> *To:* OMC Boats <omc-boats@...>
>> *Sent:* Sunday, July 8, 2012 9:51 AM
>> *Subject:* Tilt Motor problem conclusion
>>
>> Had a boating buddy come out to the lake yesterday to see what we
>> could
>> figure out on my tilt motor problem. We picked up a new Multi
>> Meter at
>> Lowes and set about testing all of the circuits. There was power
>> right
>> down to the motor plug but no action from the motor itself even
>> when we
>> bypassed everything running a wire direct from the battery to the
>> plug
>> itself. Still nothing. We came to the logical conclusion the
>> motor just
>> quit working. Bad timing (when is it ever good timing??).
>> Soooo..... we
>> missed boating on my Explorer this weekend. Bummer.
>>
>> I went on eBay and looked up tilt motors with the original part
>> number
>> (380361) and found this (one of many):
>>
>>
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OMC-Tilt-Trim-Motor-380361-382138-382220-1965-/360405308269?hash=item53e9d4936d&item=360405308269&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr
>>
>> In looking at the pics, it's exactly what is in the boat now so it
>> obviously the motor is not original. The end cap of the motor has
>> the same
>> smooth contours as the one in the pics and vice-versa. That would
>> explain
>> the missing hand wheel. Out of curiosity, I checked eBay for a
>> hand wheel
>> and surprisingly found one. There would have to be a shaft coming
>> out the
>> end of the motor to attach the wheel to. If my motor were original
>> with
>> the hand wheel, I'd have had it rebuilt just to keep a means of
>> manually
>> raising or lowering the outdrive.
>>
>> Oh well, you make due with what you have!
>>
>> -Bill
>> Cedar Creek Lake, TX
>> 1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
>> http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> OMC-Boats mailing list
>> OMC-Boats@...
>> http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/listinfo/omc-boats
>>
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/private/omc-boats/attachments/20120709/388e2883/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 17:57:27 -0500
> From: Paul Hamilton <prhamilt@...>
> To: OMC Boats <omc-boats@...>
> Subject: [OMC-Boats] Stalling from low idle
> Message-ID:
> <CAN=3qEjG4-P9k=mPYyOiVqaHfbQ=vmMxZcKR+B9xqJi6LHEioA@...m>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> My apologies to Lee Shuster for repeating this question from long
> ago, but
> I never resolved the issue and have lost his response to my initial
> inquiry.
>
> My 66 Sportsman idles well at as low as 650 rpm or so but I have to
> baby it
> to the 1100 - 1200 range or it will stall out. If I try to go to full
> throttle below about 1500, it also stalls out. As I recall Lee
> indicated
> this was an easy fix. Thoughts?
>
> Paul
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/private/omc-boats/attachments/20120709/abe2a961/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 16:02:27 -0700
> From: William Howk <bchowk@...>
> To: Paul Hamilton <prhamilt@...>
> Cc: OMC Boats <omc-boats@...>
> Subject: Re: [OMC-Boats] Tilt Motor problem conclusion
> Message-ID:
> <CA+x37Kjz4Qp+dzoP3LiPstDMS3B1A_BtRXkwaNCm4E3vzbRB9A@...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> Gentlemen,
>
> I feel your pain....cramped frustrating business getting that simple
> motor
> swapped...but if I can do it, so can you.
>
> good luck!
> B.C.
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Paul Hamilton <prhamilt@...>
> wrote:
>
>> It may have been obvious to others but I didn't remove the cowling
>> when I
>> first made the attempt to remove the tilt motor. Virtually
>> impossible.
>> With the cowling off, it's still tedious but reaching under the
>> outdrive
>> and over to the bolt made it possible. I didn't have a ratcheting
>> open
>> end wrench so I needed a third hand to help release/position the
>> wrench at
>> times. I will have a ratcheting wrench when I install the rebuilt
>> unit,
>> hopefully later this week.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM, BLDFW <bldfw@...> wrote:
>>
>>> Well..... anyone have the pleasure of "trying" to remove the tilt
>>> motor? That lower bolt is a killer! Will prob need to get a
>>> universal
>>> joint for my 1/4 ratchet to get in there!
>>>
>>> Always somethin'!
>>>
>>> -Bill
>>> Cedar Creek Lake, TX
>>> 1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
>>> http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer
>>>
>>> *From:* BLDFW <bldfw@...>
>>> *To:* OMC Boats <omc-boats@...>
>>> *Sent:* Sunday, July 8, 2012 9:51 AM
>>> *Subject:* Tilt Motor problem conclusion
>>>
>>> Had a boating buddy come out to the lake yesterday to see what we
>>> could figure out on my tilt motor problem. We picked up a new
>>> Multi Meter
>>> at Lowes and set about testing all of the circuits. There was
>>> power right
>>> down to the motor plug but no action from the motor itself even
>>> when we
>>> bypassed everything running a wire direct from the battery to the
>>> plug
>>> itself. Still nothing. We came to the logical conclusion the
>>> motor just
>>> quit working. Bad timing (when is it ever good timing??).
>>> Soooo..... we
>>> missed boating on my Explorer this weekend. Bummer.
>>>
>>> I went on eBay and looked up tilt motors with the original part
>>> number
>>> (380361) and found this (one of many):
>>>
>>>
>>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OMC-Tilt-Trim-Motor-380361-382138-382220-1965-/360405308269?hash=item53e9d4936d&item=360405308269&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr
>>>
>>> In looking at the pics, it's exactly what is in the boat now so it
>>> obviously the motor is not original. The end cap of the motor has
>>> the same
>>> smooth contours as the one in the pics and vice-versa. That would
>>> explain
>>> the missing hand wheel. Out of curiosity, I checked eBay for a
>>> hand wheel
>>> and surprisingly found one. There would have to be a shaft coming
>>> out the
>>> end of the motor to attach the wheel to. If my motor were
>>> original with
>>> the hand wheel, I'd have had it rebuilt just to keep a means of
>>> manually
>>> raising or lowering the outdrive.
>>>
>>> Oh well, you make due with what you have!
>>>
>>> -Bill
>>> Cedar Creek Lake, TX
>>> 1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
>>> http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> OMC-Boats mailing list
>>> OMC-Boats@...
>>> http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/listinfo/omc-boats
>>>
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> OMC-Boats mailing list
>> OMC-Boats@...
>> http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/listinfo/omc-boats
>>
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/private/omc-boats/attachments/20120709/13c1ead6/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 18:37:58 -0700
> From: d m <warriors100@...>
> To: <omc-boats@...>
> Subject: [OMC-Boats] (no subject)
> Message-ID: <SNT134-W674659CA6DBED235897E683D20@...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
>
>
> Hello;
>
> I also have been wanting to replace the OMC/Evinrude Emblems on my
> 67 Sportsman. Mine are in the same shape as Tom described.
> (I also want to replace the OMC decal which is on the top of my omc
> stern drive unit because my decal is completely faded out.)
>
> My thought earlier this year was to get some modeling clay and press
> it over the red and blue flag emblems.
> Then fill in the flag impressions with something that squeezes out
> of a tube and dries hard. maybe something like a two part epoxy or
> gasket sealer which dries hard, anythin just something that dries
> hard.
> Then take my dremel tool and shave down the excess material and
> paint each flag accordingly.
>
> My second thought was to just replace the 3-D emblems with 2
> dimensianal flag decals (one red and the other blue).
>
> But after reading Micahs post I think I check into that method first.
>
> Guess my final decision for which way to replace will depend on
> cost. (Don't have as full of a wallet as I had ten years ago.)
>
>
> On another note; Replacement Evinrude trailer decals are now
> available on Ebay. I purchased 2 decals last year and they were
> excellent quality replacements. I don't know about anyone else but
> I like to keep my Evinrude trailer looking good also.
>
>
> D.M.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/private/omc-boats/attachments/20120709/e9e29233/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 18:49:27 -0700
> From: d m <warriors100@...>
> To: <omc-boats@...>
> Subject: [OMC-Boats] Evinrude Rub Rail (Blue)
> Message-ID: <SNT134-W604C567F1A3E0B51583DDB83D20@...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
>
>
> What is the going rate for vintage Evinrude Rub Rail (Blue Color for
> 67 sportsman)?
>
> Have we ever discussed this issue or resolved the shortage problem?
>
> I know of a Evinrude boat that would make a good parts boat.
> I would like to buy the whole boat for my myself,
> But the cost of the parts boat is more than I want to spend.
>
> The Rub Blue rub rail on this boat looks to be in good condition.
>
> What would someone else be willing to pay for this Blue Rub Rail?
>
>
> D.M.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/private/omc-boats/attachments/20120709/d6f27843/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 00:09:50 -0500
> From: Paul Hamilton <prhamilt@...>
> To: d m <warriors100@...>
> Cc: omc-boats@...
> Subject: Re: [OMC-Boats] (no subject)
> Message-ID:
> <CAN=3qEiO2_KFsQxHhP0v6J1PUq7EPQGY8wNJ_vU92GDp-VuiZg@...>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> I may have a source that could do the cad work and use 3d resin
> printer to
> make decent replicas though the surface might not be perfectly
> smooth - I
> will check into it but it may take awhile. If it works out they
> would be
> reasonable.
> On Jul 9, 2012 6:39 PM, "d m" <warriors100@...> wrote:
>
>>
>> Hello;
>>
>> I also have been wanting to replace the OMC/Evinrude Emblems on my 67
>> Sportsman. Mine are in the same shape as Tom described.
>> (I also want to replace the OMC decal which is on the top of my omc
>> stern
>> drive unit because my decal is completely faded out.)
>>
>> My thought earlier this year was to get some modeling clay and
>> press it
>> over the red and blue flag emblems.
>> Then fill in the flag impressions with something that squeezes out
>> of a
>> tube and dries hard. maybe something like a two part epoxy or
>> gasket sealer
>> which dries hard, anythin just something that dries hard.
>> Then take my dremel tool and shave down the excess material and
>> paint each
>> flag accordingly.
>>
>> My second thought was to just replace the 3-D emblems with 2
>> dimensianal
>> flag decals (one red and the other blue).
>>
>> But after reading Micahs post I think I check into that method first.
>>
>> Guess my final decision for which way to replace will depend on
>> cost. (Don't have as full of a wallet as I had ten years ago.)
>>
>>
>> On another note; Replacement Evinrude trailer decals are now
>> available on Ebay. I purchased 2 decals last year and they were
>> excellent quality replacements. I don't know about anyone else but
>> I like
>> to keep my Evinrude trailer looking good also.
>>
>>
>> D.M.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> OMC-Boats mailing list
>> OMC-Boats@...
>> http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/listinfo/omc-boats
>>
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/private/omc-boats/attachments/20120710/9327a265/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> OMC-Boats mailing list
> OMC-Boats@...
> http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/listinfo/omc-boats
>
>
> End of OMC-Boats Digest, Vol 58, Issue 9
> ****************************************
> _______________________________________________
> OMC-Boats mailing list
> OMC-Boats@...
> http://lists.ultimate.com/mailman/listinfo/omc-boats
Received on Thursday, 12 July 2012

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 : Tuesday, 29 July 2014 EDT