[OMC-Boats] Tilt Motor Issue

From: Paul Hamilton <prhamilt@...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:56:11 -0600

I have been away from the list for time - it's good to see familiar names
putting information out there. In my time away, I've picked up 67 Rogue in
very nice condition and a 67 Sportsman that's pretty good as well (I started
with a 66 Sportsman). The Sportsman has an issue with the tilt motor. It
always works going down and occasionally works going up. It always works
going up if I first turn the hand wheel a rotation or so. The service
manual describes a "hammer blow" coupling that allows 90 degrees of rotation
by the tilt motor before engaging the worm gear which allows the motor to
gain speed before it has to lift the motor. Maybe the place to start?

I should probably start by quantifying just how much the hand wheel has to
turn to make the unit operational, but it's heading below zero tonight so if
the problem sounds familiar to anybody I would appreciate your help.

Paul