Re: [OMC-Boats] 1968 Sortman

From: BC Howk <bchowk@...>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:39:47 -0500 (CDT)
Welcome Doug,

Congratulations on your new Sportsman!! I have a 69 Sportsman 155 (v6) and enjoy it very much.....Here are some resources

Check out Lee's site, it is FULL of great background, history, prop and speed calculators, model numbers for stern drives, great write ups about some modifications that can be done along with history about what is origional, TONS of great stuff
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/index.htm

There is a forum also available, lots of folks on this list are also members there, also TONS of manuals, pictures, origional ads, restoration articles/tips and posts about all sorts of stuff OMC boat related, totally free like this list.

http://omcboats.org/forum/

OK, so first thing you'll need is a good shop manual. here are the ones I have.

http://www.amazon.com/1964-1986-Marine-Tune-Up-Repair-Manuals/dp/0893300047/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277481748&sr=1-8

http://www.amazon.com/Stern-Drive-Shop-Manual-1964-1986/dp/0892873981/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277481847&sr=1-3

http://www.iboats.com/OMC-Sterndrive-Parts-Catalog-383102-Ken-Cook-Co/dm/cart_id.738333860--session_id.909796097--view_id.438248

Here is a good source for part numbers, no need to give them your e-mail just click view parts catalog and drill in to what you want..i.e sterndrive > 1968 >155 etc.etc. there are great exploded view diagrams as well to help you identify the part you are looking for

http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Public/BRP_Public_Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fIndex.aspx

With a boat sitting for a long time, I'd start just like you are, a good clean up, inspection, change fluids, filters, oil, gas, gear lube......then regular tune up stuff change the oil, spark plugs, maybe check the carb is clean....make sure you have the outdrive either in water or hooked up to a garden hose with an adapter, fire it up... I immediatly look for the tell tale stream of water out of the starboard side of the outdrive to tell me the impelor in the outdrive is working.....looks like the boat is taking a pee, sorry but that's what it looks like to me :-)

check your points (if not converted to a pertronix kit), check the timing, adjust the carb, you know regular tune up stuff.

Hope this is helpful, Good Luck.

Cheers,
B.C.

Jun 24, 2010 01:20:29 PM, suv_doug@... wrote:

Hello everyone. Just want to say how much I appreciate this forum. I am the
>new proud owner of a 1968 sportsman, with the v6 engine. It's on the matching factory
>trailer, and is in awesome condition. it has been setting for a couple of years.
>My question is, are their any particular things I should look for, on a craft
>that has been setting awhile, to check, before I run and use this boat. I am currently
>still cleaning it up, and have located a man in my area that will redo the interior.Are
>the original seats rebuildable? And is there a source for parts for this boat.
>Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I plan on restoring the
>craft to original status, and using it as my family boat.
Thank you.
Doug Wilsman..