Re: [OMC-Boats] Intermediate housing bearings

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 00:47:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 1 May 2010, rees4@... wrote:

> I'm working on a 1966 deluxe with buick v-6. The bearings in the
> intermediate housing that are for the ball gear shaft are shot. I removed
> them in pieces. There is a ball bearing and a roller bearing. Roller
> bearing is a hyatt a 5208. No clue about the ball bearing. Any one know
> where to get replacements or new bearing numbers.

I've a 1970 Evinrude with the V-6 as swell. Mine was in pieces as well -
chunks of cage and smashed balls all over. I measured it and guessed it
was a #206. I've replaced it with one from our local bearing shop (Motion
Industries, a nationwide chain) and it's worked fine for five years now. I
think they only had one with shields on both sides, but they're easy enough
to remove.

I wish I would've found a replacement for the roller-bearing too - I
couldn't figure out which part it was. All the rollers fell out several
times during assembly (that's when I learned the grease trick) and I was
worried it might be near failure too.

Here's my notes on the bearing from back then: