Re: [OMC-Boats] Too Much Traffic

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 11:48:30 -0500 (CDT)

I personally think the opposite. I already have too many forums that I
"need" to check every day, and my trend is towards getting busy and
ignoring them, or at the least only checking them occasionally, to the
point where there's so many new posts that I can't even bother to read them
all, much less answer them. I'm much more likely to respond to a request
for help that's "pushed" into my email and only remember to go to the forum
when I need something. With most decent email clients, it's trivial to set
up filtering, automatic sorting, and even automatic archiving, that makes
an email list like this much less annoying, if you are annoyed about
getting such messages.

This list could benefit from an online searchable archive, though I found
it fairly easy to request download the entire history when I first joined
and keep it around for reference. I'm not a fan of people posting
attachments and especially pictures - that's somewhere where the forum
would be better.

A small group I'm part of recently set up a forum for similar reasons, and
it was so annoying getting people to read it regularly that we hacked the
forum software to allow members to "subscribe" and get email notification
for every thread. I still am annoyed at having to log in to actually read
the messages.

But feel free to set up a forum if you want. I'll probably join if there's
a decent archive of documentation, though I doubt I'll read it or post
often.

Ethan