Re: [OMC-Boats] sweet 16

From: Phil Budne <phil@...>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:08:34 -0500 (EST)

James wrote:
> From: marilyn collins <jem-franks@...>
> Subject: [OMC-Boats] sweet 16
>
> I have a sweet 16 but I don't know if it is an omc or an evinrude,
> is there a diffence. My plate is that of omc (model 465004) Does
> that make it an omc? I think it is a 1964.
>
> Yours Truly
> James
> Newfoundland, Canada

OMC Canada models are still deeply shrouded in mystery to me.

Some years of boats seem devoid of any badges identifying the
"make". The one previous report of your model number was sent to me
described as an "evinrude sweet 16", and pictures are on the sweet 16
page:

http://www.ultimate.com/omc-boats/gallery/sweet.html#boucher

But the boat does not have any name on the bow. At some point (1965?)
the name "Johnson Deluxe" and a Johnson seahorse appears:

http://www.ultimate.com/omc-boats/gallery/ca-deluxe.html

According to a OMC Canada 1965 sales brochure, the Deluxe (similar to
the Evinrude Sweet '16) was available in either "Moon Mist Gold" or
"Silver Moss Green".

The "Sportster 16" (the Canadian twin to the Sport '16), which has not
yet been spotted, was only available in "Silver Moss Green"

The thing that seems to distinguish the OMC Canada models is the
"plexi-glass" windshield with a light frame, as opposed to a heavier
frame (and safety glass?) on U.S. Sweet '16s.

Looking more closely at the Sweet '16 page, I see the following boats
with Evinrude badging, and Canadian windshields:

Orfino family 1964 Sweet '16 Outboard
        no model number available

Sweet '16, Calling Lake, Alberta
        no year or model number available

Peter Bilecki's 1965 88HP Sweet '16
        no model number available

Glen McDonald's Canadian Sweet 16
        no model number available
        looks to be original grey color

Dan McCormack's 1966 Canadian Sweet '16
        w/ OMC Canada plate: model 465018?

And another without any badging:

Hamish Bell's Sweet 16
        "The first owner bought it new in Vero Beach Florida in 1969"

So, as you see, all very confusing!

More sales literature, or inside information from the factory would
help flesh out a better picture of what was made when, and what it was
called. I was able to start with a list of all model numbers used for
US made boats, but I don't even have that for the Canadian models. I
seem to recall someone mentioning at some point knowing someone who
had worked in at the Peterborough, Ontario plant.

It's possible I'll get up to date on web site postings as I procastinate
making final year-end contributions...

I Hope everyone had Happy Holidays, and wishing everyone a Happy New Year!
Phil Budne
www.gull-wing.net webmaster