[OMC-Boats] Fuel Injection

From: Lee K. Shuster \(lks\) <LKS@...>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:18:25 -0700

John,

I think you made a good choice. You should be able to "dial-in" a Rochester
2G-series fairly accurately with a little care and understanding:
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Carbs/Rochester/2-Jet/1964Manual/pages/64Rochester2Gmanual_0002_jpg.htm

Moving to just about any type of fuel injection (TBI or MPFI) system on an
old boat would be financial folly, IMHO. 1) You would spend more than the
boat is worth, 2) It would no longer be original and 3) the "improvements"
in turn-key reliability, serviceability, performance and fuel econonmy would
be barely noticeable.

Not only would you potentially be looking at major changes to electrical
wiring, fuel delivery, distrubutor, possibly intake and exhaust manifolding,
and ECM programming, but to what means? Most likely you'd run the ECM in
"open-loop" mode, without an O2 sensor, which negates the ability to have
the ECM adjust Air/Fuel ratios based on 02 feedback.

I've given this subject a lot of thought for my own boat, as there are many
alternatives out there for my small block Chevy V8. I've decided that the
stock marine Rochester carb is pretty hard to beat, when it's properly
dialed in.

Lee