Re: [OMC-Boats] 1964 sweet 16 transom cracks

From: ANDY PERAKES <aperakes@...>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:38:02 -0400 (EDT)

Stress cracks in the gelcoat are common, but if it goes deeper, there can be real problems.  Its really hard to say without seeing them close and even then you often can't tell.  My boat mostly has them along the tops of the gunwales, but there are a few elsewhere .  I don't think I have any on the transom, but I'd need to check to be sure.  My biggest concern would be long-term damage below the gelcoat if you leave the boat out in the weather, but I'm not a fiberglass expert.  I'm pretty fanatical about not leaving my boat outside to minimize any kind of risk like that.

Andy