[OMC-Boats] OMC Lubricants

From: Don Mandelas <dmandelas@...>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:09:21 -0700

Today I went through my 1967 OMC service manual and recorded all the different type of lubricants mentioned.

I think Lee has already Listed these lubricants and their equivelents for today, but I cannot find his list.

So.....does anyone recall what todays equivelants are to the following older lubricants? Some of todays equivalents seem obvious to me but I just want to make sure.

Thanks

Don.

Lower Gearcase Lubricants:

Salvasol Degreaser

OMC today =

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

OMC Needle Bearing Grease

OMC Today =

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

OMC Type "A" Lubricant

OMC today =

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

OMC Type "C" Lubricant

OMC today =

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Loctite

(Example; install 3 new loctite coated set Screws in forward gear.)

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Locquic Primer "M"

OMC today =

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Needle Bearing Assembly Grease (OMC PART 378642)

OMC today =

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Perfect Seal #4

(Example; Coat the outside cases of the gearcase head seals with Perfect Seal #4.)

OMC today =

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Sealer 1000

(Example; Coat the cable tube ends with Sealer 1000)

OMC today =

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Upper Gearcase Lubricants:

OMC type "A" lubricant

OMC today =

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Sealer 1000

(Example; Coat the bottom outer edge of the water pump

plate, where it contacts the swivel housing, with Sealer 1000.)

OMC today =

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Perfect Seal #4

(Example; Apply a light coat of Perfect Seal #4 around the metal case of the bearing and seal assembly retainer seal.)

OMC today =

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Powerhead Assembly:

Petroleum Jelly

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart = Vasoline

"Hydraulic Lifter Test Fluid"

(Example; Hydraulic Lifter Test Fluid which is available through the Kent-Moore Organization, Inc., under K-M number J-5268.)

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Gulf Motor Flush

(Example; Gulf Motor Flush or equivalent solvent, will effectively clean lifter parts.)

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Kerosene to be used for cleaning parts after removal from the Gulf Motor Flush cleaning solvent

Engine Oil must be heavy-duty type (for Service MS) and must also conform to General Motors Specification 4745-M to avoid detrimental formation of sludge and varnish,

Use;

(S.A.E. 20W or S.A.E. 10W-30 for over 32 degrees fahrenheit)

(S.A.E. 10W or S.A.E. 10W-30 between 32 degrees and 0. Degrees Fahrenheit)

(S.A.E. 5W or S.A.E. 5W-20 below 0. Degrees fahrenheit.

Carburetor:

Carburetor Cleaning Solvent

OMC today =

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Light Oil

(Example; Assembly and installation of Distributor;

Place contact point set over boss on breaker plate and secure with two screws and lockwasher. Apply one drop of light oil to breaker arm pivot. Install condenser and primary lead.)

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Cam and ball bearing grease

[Example; Work a small amount of high temperature cam and ball bearing grease (Available through United Motor Service) into a clean cloth, then hold cloth against distributor cam while turning distributor shaft.]

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Winterization:

Rust Preventative Oil

(Example; Lubricate cylinder walls. Remove spark plugs and pour two ounces of OMC RUST PREVENTATIVE OIL into each cylinder through spark plug openings. Also spray entire engine and outdrive with OMC RUST PREVENTATIVE OIL.)

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Trailer:

Wheel bearing Grease

Napa =

Autozone =

Wal-Mart =

Windows 7: It helps you do more. Explore Windows 7.
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen3:102009