Re: [OMC-Boats] lower unit oil

From: Nexi <ohnoitsnexi@...>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:40:24 -0700 (PDT)

I had the same problem as you, everything local either said not for OMC stern drive or not for OMC electric shift.

Lee's Response was:

"Can't find Type C lower unit lube, C'mon get serious!"

"

BRP/OMC
Type C is now called PREMIUM BLEND (PREVIOUS known as TYPE "C" lube. It
is NOT, I repeat, NOT difficult to find. << C'mon give me a
break! >>

(Just
google OMC Type C and order it online. You'll have it on your door step
the next day if you pay for FedEx Next day delivery.)

This "complaint" has always made me laugh since my high school days when I started working at an Evinrude dealer in 1965.

You wanna play? Then step up and just Use the Bombardier (BRP) (was OMC) Premium Blend gearcase oil in your electric shift available at any J/E/O-BRP dealer.

It
is NOT an 80W or 90W oil, it is a lot thinner and has additives and
anti-corrosives designed especially for the needs of the electric shift
springs/clutch huns used for electric shifting.

Too
thick of oil viscosity and/or with the wrong additives will cause the
spring clutch to drag or slip, ruining both the spring and the hub
which will eventually cost a bundle and effectively end you boating
days.

If you can't stand the idea of paying for GENUINE OMC/BRP PREMIUM BLEND here is a recommended third-party alternative:

http://www.plews-edelmann.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1948&location_id=2628

Sorry for the rant......

Lee"

Perhaps his in depth response will help you a bit.