Re: [OMC-Boats] Possible carb issue.

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 20:16:44 -0700

On Sep 13, 2009, at 7:16 PM, Justin DeSantis wrote:

> So I got the boat out today, on lake Erie. Had a good time, but it was
> choppy as heck. Anyhow, boat ran great, except for a minor
> intermittent problem. Due to the choppy water and tons of sailboats, I
> spent a lot of time idling around. At one point, the engine just died.
> I restarted and it fired right up and idled fine. But when I put the
> boat in gear, it would stall. Several times, same thing. Now heres why
> I think it's a carb issue. If before I start it, I move the throttle
> to full a few times then start, it goes in to gear fine. Almost seems
> like it was starving for fuel when load was on the engine. If I primed
> it before starting, the problem was cured. Happened a few times, same
> story every time. So, it looks like some carb work in my future. Has
> anyone seen similar symptoms? I've not encountered this problem
> before.

mine used to do a similar thing. then as a bandaid, i just REALLY
slowly increased the throttle speed. That got me by. And now for
some reason, it doesn't do it as much anymore. i haven't tried just
thrusting into forward, but i know im giving it gas faster than i
used to be able

> Oh, one other issue. Shallow ramp. Rocks. Nice ding in the prop. What
> the best (cheapest) source for a new prop? Any good online retailers?

a prop repair might be your best bet. my prop repair guy immediately
saw my prop and said "good luck finding one" - they come up on ebay
occasionally, but costly (like $200 plus?). prop repair cost on
mine: $75.