Re: [OMC-Boats] Dwell/tach

From: Lee Shuster <lks@...>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:10:30 -0600

The motor mounts wouldn't be your biggest headache expense in
switching to a SB Chevy. One of the single biggest expenses would
switching over to the different OMC log style manifolds for the Chevy.

But depending on what your source of a SB Chevy was, say former OMC
marine application, you might luck out and get everything.

I would say your chances of finding a 66-67 Buick intermediate of full-
size with a 340 would be pretty good. Then it's pretty straight-
forward swap with what you already have with your 300.

Most of the factory 4-V 340's used Carter carbs and did run a pretty
high compression ratio. Retro fitting a Q-Jet to a 340 might require
modifying the squarebore intake.

But even a properly set up 2-V on a 340 would be a economical, very
torquey upgrade.

On Sep 12, 2009, at 6:41 PM, Justin DeSantis wrote:

> [...]
>> places. Should I be using Hi vis? He also said there is oil in the
>> intermediate that needs to be changed. I can't find any mention of
>> this in the manual.
>>
>> One more thing, this guy told me changing out the impeller requires
>> the outdrive to come off the boat before I remove the lower unit.
>> Said
>> I'd damage it if I removed it without first removing the outdrive
>> from
>> the intermediate. Now, I know this guy, and he knows his stuff. But
>> they stopped working on stringers years ago, so it wouldn't shock me
>> if he's wrong on some of this. Once I get my service manual, I'l' be
>> golden, but until then, I'm flying blind. No biggie though, I don't
>> plan on replacing the impeller until winter. This year, I'm storing
>> the boat in my mother in laws garage so I can get some projects done
>> on it over the winter. (Let me tell you, it's going to be a real feat
>> to get it into her garage. The garage is big enough, but the location
>> will make it tricky to get a boat in. I'll take pictures of that
>> fiasco.)
>> Thanks for all the info.
>>

>> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Lee Shuster (lib1) <lib1@...
>> >
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> NO, you're describing a SECONDARY HV INDUCTIVE pickup designed to
>>> sense
>>> pulse firing off No.1 cylinder. I'm not surprised that's what you
>>> are more
>>> familiar with. These induction pickups are also commonly used on
>>> timing
>>> lights as well.
>>>
>>> NOTE: I"M Pretty sure that's NOT what you have with the RAC If it
>>> has
>>> the common red and black alligator clips.
>>>
>>> This RAC tach/dwell PROBABLY hooks up to one of (two) the small
>>> threaded
>>> terminals on the COIL. The coil has THREE CONNECTIONS.
>>>
>>> 1) HV SECONDARY which sends high voltage spark to the center
>>> distributor
>>> terminal. IGNORE
>>>
>>> 2) + IGN (PRIMARY) Voltage from the ballast resistor (small threaded
>>> terminal) IGNORE
>>>
>>> 3) - (PRIMARY) voltage small lead to distributor and lead to tach
>>> (Small
>>> threaded terminal) HOOK UP THE RED TACH LEAD HERE. Connect the
>>> BLACK TACH
>>> lead to any common ground.
>>>
>>> THERE"S NO Timing "port" like you're used to viewing on motorcycles.
>>> Instead
>>> there will be timing "marks" on the rotating damper which is
>>> connected to
>>> the front crankshaft. There will be a static pointer. Point your
>>> timing
>>> light at the pointer when the engine is running (follow the manual
>>> instructions to adjust timing). The distributor will mechanically
>>> advance
>>> the timing over 20 degrees as you increase the RPMs up to roughly
>>> 3000 RPM. It's not recommended you alter ign timing, until you