Re: [OMC-Boats] What makes a marine engine, marine?

From: BC Howk <bchowk@...>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 18:00:30 -0500 (CDT)
Lee,

Now your talking another thing I've always been curious about, putting in a more modern, even fire.... always wondered about the water pump, exhaust manifolds and bolts for ther intermediate housing.

I have run across a couple of optional cams for the odd fire 225, though

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/iskycamsbuick.html

I always figured "someday" I'd have to either rebuild or replace the 225 in my sportsman and found this while poking around on some of the jeep and buick sites...

I tend to think Lee is right though, I recon the V6 from a Jeep would naturally have pretty good  low end umph, makes sense that OMC would not mess with it, plus I have never heard of a "marine cam" for the 225, seems like somebody would know about it if it existed....

Interesting discussion guys, looked at another forum and it appears that opinions vary concerning the 350 as well, some say the blocks are different some say doesn't matter (brass freeze plugs are universaly agreed upon). Then consider if they would have made different blocks 40+ years ago for the "orphan" buick that was put into Jeeps (and boats), my assumption would be that the long block is the same....I guess you'd have to install the drain petcock valves, though.........hmmmm.......intresting.

Cheers,
B.C.