[OMC-Boats] Oil change math...

From: Justin DeSantis <duc1098desmo@...>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 18:28:03 -0400

This oil change is baffling me. And this isn't my first one. I'm a
person who has made his living work on engines. I do all my own oil
changes, have since I was 10 and had a YZ80. But I digress. So I saw
an oil sucker thing at Wal-Mart for $7. I thought what the heck, lets
see if it works. Well, it sort of works. For the next change, I'll get
a nice pump. But again, I digress. On to my math problem.

According to the manual, and the dipstick, my Buick 200hp V8 holds 4
quarts, 5 with a filter change. I checked the oil before I began the
oil change, and it was full. So I started sucking oil out. At about 3
quarts worth, my pump started sucking air. Moved the pick up hose a
bit, still sucking air. Put in the dipstick to check, and it's bone
dry. I managed to only be able to drain maybe 3 quarts out. Maybe 4 if
you think the filter holds a quart. So I decided, the heck with it.
I'll put on the new filter, fill it up and call it good. This is where
the math gets confusing. I drained out 3 quarts, but it took 4 quarts
to fill it back up! So by my math, it holds 5, I took out 3 and added
4, there should be 6 in there now right? What gives?