Re: [OMC-Boats] Lets talk about anchoring...

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 09:01:54 -0700 (PDT)

Glad someone mentioned a chain.  My prior boat was a 25' Bayliner and for the first summer I had her I was forever dragging anchor.  The Bayliner had a rather high profile so it was subject to catching the wind.  Turns out my problems all centered on the lack of a chain.  I finally got a rather weighty 4' chain and my problem went away.  Apparently without the chain, the tines on the anchor easily lifted out of the mud whereas with the chain the weight of the chain kept the arm down to the ground and allowed the tines to dig in when drifting.  I can't tell you the degree of frustration I experienced until I figured that out!

On my Explorer I have one of those collapsible 4 prong anchors without a chain that I used as a secondary anchor on the Bayliner.  I've not yet dropped anchor on the Explorer anywhere to see if it's sufficient considering the smaller size of the boat or if I need to add a chain to it.  I also have an old vinyl covered anchor in storage that I might dig out if I have to but it's not pretty.

-Bill
Dallas, TX
1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer