Re: [OMC-Boats] So, I got a chance to look over the boat...

From: BC Howk <bchowk@...>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 19:22:54 -0500 (CDT)
Justin,

Not much experience with the Buick V-8....

Some new Gas certainly won't hurt. Are you adjusting just the idle speed? have you messed with the idle mixture yet? Did you check the timing? Did you let it get good and warm?  Sounds like you have some mechanical experience so sure you got most of this covered but have to double check.... My experience with the V6 nailhead has been.... Fresh oil, fresh plugs, warm it up, check/ adjust the timing (if you havent put on a pertronix kit yet check your points and dwell and consider the kit), adjust the mixture (with a vacuum guage) adjust the idle speed, then repeat,  timing, mixture, idle until I can get no further improvement, and she runs great. Once it's dialed in the seasonal tune up isn't so bad.

I think it is just about universaly accepted that the cable and pulley set up is......"sub-optimal" particularly compared to the tru course system...that being said.. I still run the cable and pulley system and it works pretty well. Just check the cable for any fraying in the vynil jackets as this can cause you to slip a pulley , then you have to crawl under the dash and take apart the pulley get the cable back on, yadda, yadda, yadda....

If you have the time, run across a good deal on a true course set up and feel you want a project, convert!! Otherwise, if you take care of your cables/pulleys they will serve you fairly well. I restrung mine a couple years ago and think it may not have been the first time, but I detected some less than desirable methodology on the set of cables I replaced (missing shock springs ect.) If your set up is in good shape, just take it easy with the wild manuvers and you'll be fine,.

Knowing what I have under there I actually find the steering suprisingly crisp and easy at speed (remember, judging on a curve, I know whats behind that steering...amazing)

Cheers,
B.C.