Re: [OMC-Boats] OMC FACTORY SHIFTER DIAGNOSTICS

From: Andy Perakes <aperakes@...>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 01:38:30 -0400

The Seloc manual says "a cutout switch prevents the starter from being
energized except when the shifter is in the neutral position" so there
shouldn't be a safety issue, but I wouldn't trust it on those words alone.
One of the manuals I read (I forget which) also says not to turn the prop
with the ignition on and either clutch engaged due to risk of starting the
engine (I'd be really surprised if you could crank the engine by the prop,
but maybe they envisioned selling to the bionic man).

Anytime you need to synchronize the speeds of two driveline components, you
want to do it with as little energy as possible. Near as I can tell from
messing around with my shifter, as soon as you shift off neutral, the coil
is energized before the engine starts to rev. There's actually quite a lot
of motion required on my shifter before the engine revs pick up -- more than
enough time for the speedy electrons to do their thing before the fuel and
air can catch up in the cylinders. Thus if you shifted from forward to
reverse before the engine had time to wind down, I suspect you would indeed
cause damage. Likewise, if you rev the engine then shift (analogous to a
"neutral slam" on a car), you most likely will break things. This isn't
unique to our boats -- any clutch has a power limit and can be broken.
Impact loading causes many thousands of times more damage than normal
running loads so even if it didn't break the 1st time, it would be the
equivalent of 1000s of hours of normal operation in terms of lifetime damage
accumulation. I would always try to shift at idle, definitely never above
1000 rpm.

Andy