Re: [OMC-Boats] Volt Gauge wiring.

From: Andy Perakes <aperakes@...>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 01:13:24 -0400

I'm in complete agreement with Lee here...and I've had relatively little experience with DC generators. DC voltage drop can be huge, even over just a few feet of what looks like large enough wiring. Even though I used 1" multi-strand speaker wire (industrial grade, used for wiring theaters and concert halls), I still saw a noticeable voltage drop on my sailboat when I added an electric start outboard (mid-ship mounted batteries). I ended up having to double what I thought was needed to get satisfactory performance.

Confirming the "helm voltage" theory is easy enough to check, but I'd still start with confirming the battery is good -- disconnect it, measure the voltage (with a multi-meter at the battery), charge it (use a smart charger if you have one so you know its state is near 100%), then measure the voltage again. Once you confirm that, hook it up in the vehicle and measure the voltage at the battery again (engine off). A different "connected" vs. "disconnect" voltage may (but not always) tell if you have any stray (intended or unintended) "leaks" anywhere. If that checks out, proceed to start the engine and again measure the voltage at the battery. If the running voltage isn't higher off-idle, then you most likely have a charging problem. Of course you can also confirm the voltage drop is due to wiring resistance by measuring it at different points along the trail to the gauge, if accessible.

As Lee says, nothing beats an ammeter for telling you the amplitude and direction of power flow real time, but you can generally use voltage as an indicator to aid diagnostics. One note of caution (although I highly doubt it applies to our old boats unless you added a bunch of electrical accessories), I have encountered cars that actually drain the battery (by design, not "malfunction") at idle. This is especially true of cars with many accessories like heated seats, heated mirrors, defrosters, etc. Add all those loads up and they can exceed the alternator output at idle and thus draw off the battery. Since most people don't idle for hours with everything 'on', its not necessarily a problem, but it can mess with an unaware person trying to diagnose an electrical problem. Interestingly, hybrid vehicles are bringing a trend towards much greater instrumentation. At a minimum, there's usually a gauge to tell you whether you're charging or draining the battery, but often there's much more such as operating mode, battery state of charge, etc. And the new reconfigurable displays allow you to customize them to provide about as much or as little information as you could ever want. (Finally, a solution to please both techies and "I'd rather not knowies!")

Since we're on the topic of electricity, I measured the resistance of my forward and reverse clutch coils earlier today. Both read dead-on 6 ohms so its almost certain I'm dealing with a spring tab failure. I drained the lower gearcase lube today, but I don't anticipation starting the disassembly until after Labor Day.

Andy