[OMC-Boats] 210 engine trouble

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 17:35:17 -0400

Took the 1969 V8 Rogue 210 out today for a run. It has been running funny the latter half of this summer. It had an intermittent subtle misfire at cruising. Not bad and only noticeable by me and not so much the passengers. Well that gets you to thinking - when is it going to shut down! I decided to tune it up with new points, condenser and adjust timing etc. So I took it out today to see what it would do and it was horrible. It will crank up and idle fine and it will rev up to 4000 no problem at the dock. Put it in gear and try that and it starts to sputter and will miss and finally shut down after reaching 2000 rpm or so. Recrank the boat and it will do it all over again. It will cruise at 1000 to 1500 rpm fine but just try and open it up and it fails. Anybody got any clues? I am thinking fuel starvation at the carb. I recently replaced the fuel pump and pump filter and they seem to be okay. Gas is recent and high test. It has a rubber gas line tank to pump. Had the carb off last month - no real problem seen there. The carb filter looked okay so I didn't replace it. Maybe a distributor advance problem? It has the old mallory points distributor. Any ideas out there? All is well with the old bird otherwise. Tom K.