Re: [OMC-Boats] Precision Propellers Industries - How They're Made

From: Lee Shuster <lks@...>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 07:56:56 -0600

Bill,

Yes, an SST prop will typically provide about 1.5 to 2 mph top speed
increase. It will also provide about a 2 to 5 percent fuel efficiency
increase along with less RPM slippage on hole shots.

One reason OMC engineers built them in odd-pitch sizes, is they could
better match them against their aluminum sisters.

In other words a 15-inch pitch SST will perform at speed as well as a
16-inch AL, but it will have the pulling power of a 14-inch AL out of
the hole. Almost like getting two props in one. But you pay almost
double.

These claims are fairly well documented within the industry. Is the
difference noticeable? With instrumentation, yes. With the seat of
your pants? Probably no.

OBTW, with their original Teflon coating, OMC's SST's are were
originally black. But paint is cheap so it's easy to judge the prop by
it's weight, rather than paint color. Don't get "taken" on eBay,
always check the original Part number!

Lee