Re: [OMC-Boats] Forward Clutch Won't Engage on Late-1967 3-wire Shifter - Update

From: ANDY PERAKES <aperakes@...>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:15:37 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks, Lee.  I just realized my earlier reply to Don went only to him, but I was able to walk my wife through measuring the coil over the phone this morning.  Unfortunately I only have a cheap multimeter with 10k or 1k scales so both readings of "0" could effectively have been "0" else 4.5 - 6.5 ohms on that scale.  If I can get the parts this week, I feel fairly confident I can do the repairs next weekend.  I think my two biggest concerns are:

1)  Do I need any special tools to get it apart and put it back together?

2)  Getting parts (especially not know what part(s) failed)

I lost all of my special tools (gear/bearing pullers, clip spreaders, etc.) with my Dad's toolbox (long story so let's just say I hope none of you ever have to experience the horrors of Alzeheimer's ) and I only have a limited tool set at the lake.  It was late by the time we got back in so I ended up leaving my whole rig there (including manuals - d'oh!); if you think its the spring tab that broke and I can find one for a reasonable price, I just assume get one now (I have much better luck finding parts near Detroit vs. the small town in Ontario where I boat).  Its not just the repair costs, but if I have to depend on a shop, my season will most likely be over and  August is the best month around here.  Is this spring tab part of the spring itself, i.e. I need to find a spring pack?  While I'm waiting for my wife to bring my manuals back, I'll try pulling the part #s from the BRP site in hopes of tracking parts down after work  today (Michigan Marine Gear usually has this kind of stuff in stock) .   What about gaskets, springs, circlips , etc. -- anything else you think I'll need?