[OMC-Boats] Electric Shift Circuit Protection

From: Lee Shuster (lib1) <lib1@...>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 08:44:40 -0600

There are probably some sound reason why OMC engineers did not choose
to provide specific fuse-protection on the isolated shift coil circuit.

a) The circuit is already protected by the 20-amp IGNITION circuit
fuse, as the the engine coil/distributor.

b) They use their 7-position fuse distribution panel, which was
already provisioned.

c) You want the "cleanest" least resistive circuit path. That means
the closet thing to a straight wire. That's because marine
environments can be brutal on electrical systems and wiring, and in
particular on connectors and junctions.
If you add two more fuses you add at least four more junction points,
at the very least. And the current drain of each shift coil is
relatively small. And the shift coil device design is well insulated
and protected in the lower unit.
The last thing you want is losing electrical power to the coil while
underway. If the current setup encounters a DEAD SHORT, it will blow
the IGNITION fuse and your engine will not over-rev in fact in will
shutdown immediately.
If you added a shifter fuse and it OPENED up while under way, you risk
a lot more than the shifter coil.

d) The mod you SHOULD all consider is this: Add a GROUND strap
between the lower unit and the intermediate case. Make sure your
intermediate case is well grounded to the engine block and the battery
ground. We tend to forget that ground paths are equally important to
operational efficiency. Also, clean and inspect the two KNIVE BLADE
connectors that feed the shifter coil and them seal them against
moisture intrusion with brush-on tape or RTV silicon. These
connectors are rather out of sight and out of mind. You will locate
them in the vicinity of the tilt motor near the transom on the Port
side.

Lee