Re: [OMC-Boats] Newer Upper gear cases

From: Lee K. Shuster \(lib1\) <lib1@...>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:59:03 -0600

BC,

Go online and look thru the GLM catalog http://www.glmmarine.com/pdf/OMC_Catalog.pdf or call their office for advice. They have a fairly extensive listing of upper gear sets by year and hp rating. I'm pretty sure you can interchange the upper gear sets and housing to/from electric shifts: 69-71, 72-78, and the later cable-shifter 79-85 stringers, at least that's what I conclude from a quick glance at their catalog.

I would imagine you would be looking for the 21-19, 21-18, and 21-17 "in-betweener" ratios. The 21-16 is the tallest from the Chevy and Ford 351, while your Buick's present ratio is very close to 1:1, either 25:25 or 21:20. If you go used -- then you want to look for upper gear sets from 165, 175, 190 hp stringers (ie Chevy I-6, and 302 Fords which are pretty common.)

Lee