Re: [OMC-Boats] Tilt Clutch

From: Gregory B. Fell <gfell@...>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:53:52 -0500
I could have written that story myself.  24 years ago, as 17 year old boy with his girlfriend (now wife), I ventured from my home lake in Michigan, Elk Lake, into Lake Skegemog with the intention of traveling down the Torch River into Torch Lake, something my dad had expressly told me not to do.  Replace the rocks with tree stumps and flowers with swans and everything else is pretty much the same -- right down to the limping to shallow water and needle nose pliers.
Re: hp
Gregory B. Fell
The Fell Law Firm
3300 Oak Lawn Avenue, Suite 700
Dallas, Texas 75219
PHN: 972-488-8177
FAX: 214-219-4218

GFELL@...
Fell Law Firm Logo

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.

This communication does not reflect an intention by the sender or the sender's client or principal to conduct a transaction or make any agreement by electronic means. Nothing contained in this message or in any attachment shall satisfy the requirements for a writing, and nothing contained herein shall constitute a contract or electronic signature under the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act, any version of the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act or any other statute governing electronic transactions.

BC Howk wrote:
All,

I had been debating about broadcasting my stupidity but since the subject of tilt clutches has come up in Nexi's saga to get going, thought I'd share my anecdote from this very week-end.....

My Girlfriend expressed interest in getting out on the water, however is a novice to boating. I took this as a challenge to create the most pleasant boating experience I could muster while teaching her about the pastime I enjoy so much. I prepared her for the idea that there is always something with an old boat and is just part of the process...

So we get launched and are cruising through downtown Portland on the Willamette river on a beautiful day, Dauntles V6 roaring like a lion, wind whipping through hair, big grins all around...perfect.... So I hop out of the driver seat and hand my beloved sportsman over to her, and we are cruising along having a great time...

We get to a part of the river neither of us have been on that looks a little rocky, my GF asks if it's OK to go through.  Looks OK to me but I suggest that when in doubt, go slow....about 2 seconds after backing off the throttle....KACHUNK....rattle, rattle rattle. OMG!!! one Millisecond of panic then I remember this site and that OMC put a tilt clutch for just such a thing. I collect myself for another millisecond turn off the motor and proceed to asses the damage. We are safe..good, the outdrive is up and hung on slightly submerged rocks, the hull is still floating and the prop is expectedy dinged up. I hop out and push then row to deeper water, lower the outdrive and start the motor. everything sonds OK. we start making way and the boat vibrates badly at anything over 1000 rpm from the damaged prop, so I decide to limp slowly back to the launch.

About halfway back I can take it no more, find a sandy beach, grab my spare prop and jump in the water with a pair of needle nose pliers. My GF (being an awsomely good sport) catches the pins and washers that I hand up to her and holds them like gold as I explain that dropping them in the river would be bad (believe me I was handling them like gold myself). Whole process took about 10 or 15 minutes (I was being VERY careful not to drop anything), since we were there took a little stroll on the beach smelled some flowers etc. Pushed the old girl off the beach, lowered the drive again fired up and took off like bats out of heck...everything is working perfectly, so we decide to pull up to a resaurant on the waterfront right downtown, had a wonderful dinner, walk the waterfront, grinning and happy again, run into one of her aquaintances that turns green with envy when she hears we boated there...Life is GOOD!!!

Morals of the story
1. Thank you OMC engineers!! for putting a clutch assembly on the tilt that prevents extensive damage on a grounding event.
2. In case you were ever curious, YES those clutches work, now you have no need to test them like I did. DOH!
3. Thank you OMC boat community for educating me about this stuff so I can be Mr. cool and collected in front of my novice boating GF, salvaging a wonderful experience for her and keeping an open door for more pleasant boating outings.

Cheers,
B.C.