Re: [OMC-Boats] Manuals

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:41:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, BLDFW wrote:
> I'd go one step further and suggest getting a true OMC Service manual as
> well as a parts manual.  Mine set cost about $100 and it's been worth
> EVERY PENNY.  I've read through the service and parts manuals several
> times and found them invaluable in defining areas that I have needed help
> with.  If I'm unsure about something I'm reading, I usually post a
> question and see where it goes.
> The guys on this email list are pretty laid back and very helpful.  The
> guys on another major site are pretty knowledgeable and helpful too but
> they will lay into you if you don't have any manuals to research on your
> own.
> It might seem like a lot of money but it sure has saved me from making
> several mistakes along the way.

I highly recommend the manuals as well, and I'd further recommend trying to
get multiple manuals - the original dealer service manual, plus the Seloc
manual. I picked up my Dealer Service Manual for $30 or so on ebay, and
paid about the same for the Seloc manual from an online vendor. I actually
went all-out and got the Clymer as well, but I don't think it's as good as
the other two. The factory and Seloc manuals complement each other in
their weaknesses, which are many. I think the Seloc is the single best
manual of the three, but the Dealer Service Manual handles some systems
significantly better. I've skimmed/read through all of them multiple times
and can generally do most work from memory now, though I still keep them
out when I'm working on the boat.

I'd also like to get the parts manuals with the exploded drawings of each
system, but those can be found online at least. Keep an eye out on ebay
for the manuals (not they're customized for each year and some model
variations as well; it's not absolutely necessary to get exactly the right
one, even with the right manual you might find some differences due to
undocumented or post-production changes), or at least get the Seloc.

The Seloc manual can be had from Amazon and should be on everyone's shelf:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015G7RIG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=089330025X&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=10188SB7J4R48EXV7Q1W

Ethan