Re: [OMC-Boats] swapping lower unit?

From: Andy Perakes <aperakes@...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:54:44 -0400

I can't comment on the difficulty of changing the lower unit because I've
never done that. I can comment that, unless the prop is completely trashed,
$100 to repair a prop is high. I have learned is most shops send props out
for repair. They take the repair shop price, mark it up to roughly double,
then pass it on to you. If you can locate the shop in your area that does
the actual work, you can probably cut that $100 down to $50-60 and make it a
no-brainer exercise. The place I use is R & L Tri City Marine in Livonia,
MI
(http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?tuid=F-YPC-21826258-139318224-M&tcat=25975916&city=Canton&state=MI&zip=48188&uzip=48188&msa=2160&slt=42.2899&sln=-83.4701&cs=5&fb=1&stat=:pos:2:fb:regT:1:fbT:3).
I don't know if they do mail order work, but it can't hurt to ask,
especially if you can't find a local shop. I've had several props done
there over the years (including repitching and resizing) and the price has
typically been $30-50 while the boat shops quoted me $75-100. Its been at
least 3 years since I've been in so I would expect something closer to $50
today.

Andy Perakes
'67 Reveler 155