Re: [OMC-Boats] Planning on installing a 14x18 soon as I can locate one.

From: Lee Shuster <Lee.Shuster@...>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:34:41 -0600

Hi Todd,

What are your goals in wanting to change props? Higher top speed? Better fuel economy at cruise speed? Better hole shots for yanking up skiiers?

RE: <<Planning on installing a 14x18 soon as I can locate one.>>

You didn't state if the boat was fully or lightly loaded, and at what altitude you were operating. And given the mixed pedigree, who knows what gear ratios are now in there?

When new your rig was brand new it was capable of running a WOT 4200 - 4500 RPM, which would typically yield (with one or two passengers at sea level) about 38 - 39 mph.

If your "hard running" is only able to yield a true 3000 rpm and 32 mph at WOT (Wide-Open-Throttle) then moving up in pitch won't change much except lower the maximum WOT RPM. In fact, without additional evidence, I'd hazzard aguess that you might want to consider going down in pitch.

Lee