Re: [OMC-Boats] Sportsman trailer

From: Carl <farmall2@...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:00:28 -0400

I will have some pic's later this summer when I get back to work on it.
It was in the process of being picked apart when I got it. The carb,
manifolds, gauges, bump strip ( I think that is what it is called)
around the hull , prop and some other items were already missing. But
the engine and stern drive was complete so I decided to save it from a
certain eventual trip to the landfill. I have found most of the missing
items except the bump strip and gauges (I have some but they are not
original, so still looking) and the key switch. Still a work in
progress. The boat itself is in great shape, but may have water in the
foam. It came on an Evinrude trailer that was in great shape as well,
except for the modified 14" car type rims and the missing coupler
parts. The boat title was lost but in Michigan it is pretty easy to get
a replacement title issued if the boat is old (past the age where a loan
would exist) and has not been registered for a few years.

My son and I towed it 133 miles with very questionable tires and erratic
lighting. Most of the trip was on I-75 and state highways and thank
goodness the traffic was light. Still am amazed that we made it back
without a bearing going out, a tire going out or a roadside visit with
the state or local police. I would have purchased new tires before we
left but the local Walmart would not put passenger tires on a trailer
rim. I even had the rims off and carried them in but they refused. We
had to settle for marginal used tires (throw aways) from a local shop.
That was a year and a half ago and we still talk about that adventure.

Why are those old OMC's so addictive?

Carl