[OMC-Boats] luck me (so far)

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 23:04:10 -0700

Wow - this has been a miracle filled two days. I have a big
camping thing planned with my family/boat this weekend. Haven't had
time to touch my boat since last season. And at the end of last
season i had pulled apart everything down to the intake manifold.
End of last year bought new Intake manifold gasket, got manifold and
disassembled water pump cleaned at machine shop, and then just
walked away from it. So yesterday was about trying to refresh my
memory on how everything went back together after months.
Reinstalling carb was today - and Napa had the right gaskets in
stock. Got everything carefully back together - and actually had a
little extra time to still make it to the ramp and try and fire her
up. I remembered I had actually drained the gas tank last season
too. So put 4 gallons in, went to ramp. (cover off motor whole
way for ventilating) Backed her in. Lowered drive. Turned key
on. Moved red lever all the way up. Pumped throttle twice.
Cranked for about 4-5 seconds. Again for 4-5 seconds. Again - AND
IT STARTED RIGHT UP!!!!! I could not believe it!!! Even after
draining my tank last season. In fact, that was the only
winterizing I did. Let it idle for about 2-3 minutes, sun was
going down, shut it off til tomorrow and didn't push my luck.

So other than about 90% pure luck - I think the following might have
helped: fuel filter, separator, original fuel pump, and Optima
blue top battery (still never connected to charger since purchasing
last season, sat all winter w/o charging!). Draining fuel tank
may have helped too - but who knows. I guess i still had enough in
the lines to get it to fire, but i would've thought not.

I fully expected to be lucky just to get everything back together by
wednesday, much less starting. So I am happily way ahead of
schedule and now can focus on the real issue and why I haven't used my
boat much....it seems to be running super hot. more on that later.....

jeff