[OMC-Boats] Sticking Carb Float

From: Ted Robinson <tederobinson@...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:34:19 -0700

1970 Seasport wth HUFR19E 155 V-6 (kaiser)
During the pressure check part of conducting some preventive maint by changing the two inline fuel filters, one at the transom and one above the fuel tank at the inlet side of the electric fuel pump added by the prior owner, I noticed fuel pouring out of the top of the carb.
Rather than trying to figure out why the float was sticking,I decided to just rebuild the carb.
I purchased a kit locally @... auto parts and took the carb apart. It was surprisingly clean and the metal float appeared to be as it should, no cracks or indications of leakage.
I did not boil the carb, just blew the passages out with compressed air put in the new parts, set level/drop & put her back together.
Added a fuel press gauge @... the inlet to carb so I felt like I had a better picture for future troubleshooting.
When tested before & after the final mounting of the carb the press was right @... 6psi and no leaky.
Today she ran great for the first 5 tenth of an hour, then the RPM seemed to have a mind of its own.
Popped the bonnet and there was fuel pouring out of the top of the carb again. Shut her down and very nicely asked my wife to paddle us back to the dock. Her response is not important here.
I seem to have an intermittent sticking float. I do not see any reason to re kit the carb, but some of you may have an idea or know of a quirk in this carb system.
New carbs are spendy. Can I use a local auto parts for the carb, or am stuck with marine only?
Thanks in advance
Ted Robinson
Terrebonne,Oregon