Re: [OMC-Boats] I/O vs Outboard OMC

From: Lee Shuster <lee.k.shuster@...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:06:51 -0600

James,

It is entirely possible (anything is possible, right?) to convert your V4 sterndrive to outboard power. I've re-powered a similar boat (66 Sportsman) and considered doing exactly what you describe. In the end, I personally was more comfortable retaining a sterndrive config but with a larger engine. The steps I went through will be similar for you:

1) You will need to do a major transom structural upgrade. The sterndrive you have was all mounted and braced on internal "stringers," and the thin transom was literally only there to keep out water. You will not only need to fill the large circular hole, but you will need to heavily reinforce the transom with wood and fiberglass to support the significant loads that a 250+ lb outboard will apply. If you are contracting this work out be sure to get someone who's done it and get their quote in writing. It always is more difficult than anyone originally anticipates. I'm not sure what experience you may have and many boat owners do it successfully themselves. There are good photos on Phil's website of the process if you did around. You'll also need to most likely build-up the transom height to accommodate a 20-inch drive, as these boats were designed for 15-inch motors. I don't know what your budget is but I could see dropping a grand on upgrading the transom, when you consider supplies and labor.

2) You will need to adapt the electrical wiring to whatever outboard power source you choose. This won't be too bad if you are handy but it won't be "turn-key."

3) Steering. Again, you boat has rope & pulley and most outboards above 60-80 hp prefer something a bit more modern. Again, this can be done, but most likely won't be turn-key.

4) Outboard controls (shift/throttle/instruments): Ditto above.

5) Coming full circle back to the fiberglass work: You'll need to build some sort of self-bailing motor well. The hull design is very low to the water and any reversing in the water usually results in taking on water over the transom. The sterndrives had hatches and vents, but outboard versions had motor wells. With a little fiberglass creativity, you could fashion one.

6) Outboards have a lot going for them but they aren't cheap. Yes, you can do this project and make it safe. It can be done, but it takes time, a fair bit of planning, and lot of patience. Before you undertake this project make sure the rest of the hull is sound and not full of under floor water. I wish you the best.

Lee Shuster