Re: [OMC-Boats] SOS from AOL user?

From: Lee K. Shuster \(lib1\) <lib1@...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:16:24 -0600

Hi Phil,

RE: thoughts on starting up and possibly moving to a separate
OMC-Electric-Shift-Stringer Sterndrive (OMC-ESSS) specific list:

1) I've noticed that we've apparently attracted some list members that don't
even own OMC boats, but that our OMC-ES powered. Interesting, but I don't
think we should excluded them.

2) In the overall 8-year production run of OMC-built boats, outboard models
were gone after the 1965 model year (M-Y), so for Evinrudes that's only 2
M-Y's (1964-65) and for OMC/Johnson's that's essentially 3 full M-Y's
1963-64-65 (1962 production was not fully ramped-up). We're going to see a
lot more OMC Boats that are Electric Stringer-powered (sterndrive) boats out
there just because they enjoyed a comparatively longer production run.

3) I'm obviously biased, as I own an OMC-ESS sterndrive-powered Sportsman,
but in the larger recreational boater community, these innovative designs
take a lot of abuse and ridicule from people who don't appreciate or
understand them. I'd like to think we can keep these boats running and with
the running gear they were originally built with be it outboard or
sterndrive. (Several of the 1962 - 1968 OMC outboards 40, 75, 90 and 100 hp
also used the electric shift which share a lot with the V-480-488-490
sterndrive used in 14, 16, and 17-ft hulls (it never was installed in the
19-ft-ers).

Just my two-cents, but the status quo is pretty darn good, IMHO. I guess it
would be nice to somehow search or archive these discussions somehow, on
maybe have some kind of web-based "forum" but that's a lot of extra work and
upkeep beyond a simple and easy to maintain list server. I hope others chime
in with their thoughts and suggestions.

Lee Shuster
Utah