Re: [OMC-Boats] OMC bilge/blower combo

From: Lee Shuster <lee.k.shuster@...>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 19:01:30 -0600

Scott,

As far as safety is concerned, I feel better having "upgraded" to more modern separates for blower and bilge pump functions. (Sorry, my old unit was tossed during my re-powering project, 3 or 4 seasons back.)

1) You can put the bilge pump on an AUTO-OFF-ON switch where the AUTO wiring is sourced to the battery. That way it will bail anytime the sensor switch tells it to, even if you aren't around.

2) I like the 3-inch,Jabsco Flexmount (squirrel-cage) which moves over 105 CFM, which you can find for less than $60. Very quiet and low current draw. The typical axial inlines are prone to failing after a couple of seasons and are loud.

Obviously, you could run them both at the same time off the existing switch and wiring, but I prefer having independent control over each.

See: http://www.hodgesmarine.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JAB35515-0010&click=18

Lee Shuster
Utah

PS -- Finally had my boat out for the first time this season. I used to bow cover and kept the windshield closed as it was cold (Air temp was about 55 F and water temp was 60 F.)