[OMC-Boats] Upper Unit Seal questions

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 06:58:16 -0700 (PDT)

Using the correct parts manual, I'm compiling a seals and o-ring listing so I can properly reseal my upper unit.  Fortunately all of the "seals and o-rings" are still available individually through MarineEngine.com so I'm about to place the order

There are two parts on the schematic that I don't show as being present on my unit and wanted to see if anyone here has any insight on that.

PN 308768 Exhaust Seal
PN 308590 Spring  (related to the previous part)

They appear to seal the exhaust outlet in the upper unit where it mates with the port on the intermediate housing.  I don't see anything that resembles these them on my upper unit (see pic).   Is this a part that gets lost?  The inside of the upper unit cavity around the port is all black so it's not been there for awhile

Also, one other question.  PN 308596 Seal, is the big round plastic seal that the water pump housing slips through when placed in position inside the exhaust housing.  It's a $38.00 part.  Mine is present and in good condition.  I'm not seeing any reason to replace it.  Anyone got an opinion on that?

Thanks.

-Bill
Dallas, TX
1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer

Exhaust_Port.JPG