Re: [OMC-Boats] Guide to OMC STRINGER Power Tilt

From: DOUGLAS JULIEN <dfjulien@...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 09:29:32 -0700 (PDT)

Without the bracket the worm gear, the worm gear shaft, the brass plug with the o-ring are all ejected into the water when the (up) tilt is engaged.  Whoops!... On lucky occasions this happens at the dock or in shallow water where the parts are recoverable.  If the bracket is simply loose, the worm gear can slip off the little pin on the shaft that engages it, and the tilt motor just spins.

Upon reflection I think it was later than 1974 that OMC changed the design.  Maybe 1979.  The bracket appeared as a solution sometime in the early 80's, as I recall.  I have seen two instances where the owner fashioned his own bracket, based on the same principle as the OMC bracket.

Good luck.

-Doug Julien