Re: [OMC-Boats] Prop for 1970 Evinrude Sportsman

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 13:17:03 -0700 (PDT)

Interesting you should say that as I had a similar prob.  I replaced the prop with a prop that had the correct prop number but it felt funny going on and would not slip all the way down the shaft.  After having exprienced difficulty getting it back off the shaft with just the merest of hand pressur, was afraid that if I forced it, I'd never get it off.  I took the whole boat to the prop shop and found that while the prop number matched, the shaft was not correct.  They recored the shaft with a new one without the flanges you mentioned and it fits snugly onto the drive shaft.  There in ever so slight give rotation wise that I'm a bit concerned about as though the pin is not as snug as it should be but a buddy seemed to think it was fine.

So, I guess in adding to your concern, now much rotational give should there be with the pin?

-Bill
Dallas, TX
1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
http://www.photobucket.com/Evinrude_Explorer