Re: [OMC-Boats] Possible impeller problem

From: ANDY PERAKES <aperakes@...>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 17:37:27 -0400 (EDT)

There's any number of potential reasons, everything from "the mouse nest broke lose and plugged the port" to marginal parts finally giving up the fight.  I don't know what the others have experienced, but my '67 Reveler has two weak points:  about every 15 years I need to replace the alternator and water pump.  I've noticed the water pump retains a lot of "wet" inside and even though it has a brass impell e r, the bearings, housings and seal seem to get "chunk rust" build-up.  I last changed my pump about 8 years ago and started pulling the hoses off the pump housing in hopes that it might help slow down the rate of degradation, but I'm still within the 15 year window so I don't yet know if it has helped.  I do know if you need a pump and/or gasket you will have one heck of a time finding one.  If I remember right, I paid $380 for my last pump, then later bought a spare for $190 that I luckily stumbled upon in a clearance sale.  I've heard some people talk about using the auto pump and just plugging the heater core hose, but I'd be very cautious with that route unless you know the flow rates and pressures are the same.  Also, the auto unit runs in engine coolant which has corrosion inhibitors and other stabilizers so it may be more apt to fail in an environment void of that protection.  As I recall, the mount interface is slightly different too so you'd need to make modifications that again expose you to more potential failure modes.  Before you pull your pump off the block (and likely destroy the gasket), I suggest you pull the hoses and look/feel around inside to the extent possible.  If you can feel the impeller is loose or see lots of garbage in there, that will be a pretty good indicator you need a new pump.  If it looks clean and tight, I'd probably look elsewhere first.  If needed, you can make your own gasket, a process that will be much easier if you can keep the bulk of the existing gasket in tact to use as a pattern.  Btw, I last replaced the alternator about 6 years ago and used one of the retrofits that has a built-in voltage regulator.  So far it runs fine and I have not experienced any trouble with it.