[OMC-Boats] Possible impeller problem

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 13:04:50 -0700 (PDT)

I got my new exhaust hose installed and cranked her up again.  I let it run about 10mins monitoring it closely.  When I first started it I pulled the hose off the rear manifold where the water is pumped up from the outdrive in a good steady flow.  I watched the temp gauge (160d thermo) but did not see any discernable shift.

I closed the engine compartment just to hear how she idled with it closed.  When I reopened the air felt a bit warmer than I would have thought after running only 10mins or so.  I started feeling hoses and the hose on the right side from the outdrive was hot while the hose on the left side was mildly warm.  Of the hoses in the front, two were getting hot and the other two warm but not really hot.  I pulled the right side hose from the outdrive to the manifold again and this time no water pumping.  Duing this time, the temp gauge had only gotten to about 115-125.

Why would it pump at first and then not pump after a few mins?  Seem to work fine yesterday.  I will have to pull the water pump for sure.

Thoughts, insights, lessons learned?

Thanks.

-Bill
Dallas, TX
1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC sterndrive
http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer