Re: [OMC-Boats] PLaymate engine gaskets ?

From: lks@...
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 17:39:26 -0600

Once again, I'll state that 97 percent of the DU-Series Sterndrive Engine parts, also known as the 480, 488, or 490 (4 is for V4, 80, 88 or 90 is horsepower) are cross-referenced to their common use on Evinrude or Johnson outboards. Knowing that fact will make it easier to try to locate the parts necessary to rebuild the engine.

You need to hook up with some of the other internet groups thart focus on rebuildingh the V-4 J-E-G-O (Johnson - Evinrude - Gale - OMC) OUTBOARDS. They will know the best parts sources. Try looking on www.fiberglassics.com as they are mostly outboard restoration guys.

If you see a repeating theme here your are not going to have really good luck with the traditional OMC sterndrives shops for this powerhead. Those sources focus on the 4-stroke GM-based powerheads. Back in the sixties when these boats were built the V-4 sterndrives were typically services by the OUTBOARD shops, because they already had the V-4 parts in stock.

If it was me, I would be expect looking for these V-4 parts to be fairly difficult to find, but you'll be better off if you are not lookin' for love in all the wrong places. And traditional OMC sterndrive shops/suppliers are all pretty much useless on this engine. OUTBOARD guys are who you want to hook up with, imho.

Lee